Imperial Manufactory, St. Petersburg, 1884.
Hard porcelain dinner plate, with an edged border with a gold border, centrally decorated with a polychrome motif representing the plaque of the Order of Saint-Georges, 1st class model. The border (the wing) is decorated with a moiré ribbon, painted in the colours of the order, holding the badge decorated with a laurel branch. Good condition
Green marks on the reverse: A. III. (Alexander III), under imperial crown, dated 1884.
Diameter: 23 cm.
History: the service of the order of St. George was ordered by Empress Catherine II to the Gardner factory, in 1777. After this delivery, three other parade services dedicated to the main Russian orders followed, that of St. Andrew and St. Alexander Nevsky, then in 1783, St. Vladimir. The decorations of these services consisted of the representation of the distinctive ribbons of these orders, with their insignia and plaque. They were designed by Gabriel Ignatievitch Kozlov (1738-1791), who also designed the Orloff service. The high decorative value of the pieces of this set makes it possible to classify it among the most significant works produced by the Gardner factory. The services of the imperial orders were used once a year on the feast day of the corresponding saint, when all the members of the order dined in the Winter Palace in the presence of the sovereign. Throughout the subsequent reigns since Catherine II, they were regularly supplemented and replaced by the Imperial Porcelain Factory. Under Emperor Nicholas II, some pieces, including dessert dishes, were produced.